Title: A way to deal with Deer Flies while Mowing
Evening! Hope all is well.
So it was about 4 years ago when I got really sick of dealing with deer flies in my back yard. I did some searching online and found this article(click here) by Dr. Russell F. Mizell, III, Professor of Entomology. You can see midway down the page, a trap on a lawn mower. Well, I made my own contraption to deal with the problem. A spin on Dr. Mizell’s idea.
I mowed tonight and caught about 8 deer flies with no bites!
Take a look at the pictures below.
- So you spray pain the coffee can royal blue.
- Then take 1/2″ diameter threaded metal dowel 6′ long (can buy at local hardware store)
- Attach the metal dowel to the tractor hitch (use washers and double up the nuts to prevent the nuts from getting loose)
- Use latex gloves to smear the Tree Tangle Foot all over the coffee can (get all over the can).
- Put coffee can upside down on the dowel
- Rig the dowel with rope to the tractor seat or as I have it to the accessory holes.
- Get mowing!
You can buy Tree Tangle Foot here