This recipe is something my Mom started using back when I was in high school. It’s to die for. Easy and goes a long way! I’ve had some friends over the years ask for it, “hey remember your Mom’s soup recipe with the cabbage and kielbasa, can I have it?” So here it is! Yes I did ask Mom!
Easy Tortellini Soup
- 4 quarts of hot water
- 10-12 bouillon cubes (chicken or beef)
- 1 med. onion sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) bag tortellini, filled with Parmesan (dried)
- 2 large cans stewed tomatoes (Italian or Mexican style), chopped
- 6-7 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1-lb package Kielbasa, cut into small bite sized pieces (feel free to add 2 packages)
- 3-4 tbsp butter (or margarine), to be used when cooking cabbage
First take a 6-quart soup pan and add 4 quarts of water. Add bouillon, stewed tomatoes, and onion and bring to a boil. Add tortellini. While this is cooking, I take a 4-cup measuring cup with 1/2 the shredded cabbage and 1/2 the butter and put it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on full power. I do this twice to speed up the cooking time. About 5 minutes after the tortellini goes in the pot, I put the kielbasa in also. This soup takes about 20 minutes to make using the microwave for the cabbage. You can eliminate it by just adding the cabbage to the water 5-7 minutes before the tortellini. Serve on a cold day with Italian bread. It is also excellent served cold! This is a regular in our house.